The European Commission Representation in Croatia has the honour of inviting you to the European premiere of Odysseus sails again, a travelling exhibition of the Odyssey in the official languages of the European Union.
The exhibition was initiated by the European Commission Representation in Paris in order to mark the Greek Presidency of the Council of the European Union, and after Zagreb it will travel to a number of European cities – from Paris and Rome to Tallinn and Bucharest.
The opening will take place at Knjižnica Bogdana Ogrizovića, Preradovićeva 5, Zagreb, on 5 May 2014 at 10h30.
The programme will include readings of short passages from the Odyssey in many European languages and a presentation of an antique 18th-century translation of the Odyssey from Dubrovnik.
Programme of the exhibition opening:
- 10h30 – opening greeting by the Head of the European Commission Representation Mr. Branko Baričević
- 10h40 – opening greeting by Her Excellency Ambassador of Greece Mrs. Eleni Gerokostopoulou
- 10h50 – reading of excerpts from the Odyssey in EU official languages
- 11h20 – presentation on the Latin translation of the Odyssey by Bernard Zamanja of Dubrovnik, by Prof. Petra Šoštarić from the Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences in
- 11h40 – reading of an Odyssey-inspired work by a student poet Mila Pavićević
Zamanja’s Latin translation, printed in Siena in 1777, will be displayed during the exhibition
opening. The edition was borrowed for the occasion from the rare books collection of the
Library of the Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences in Zagreb.